Sunday, December 26, 2010

Incorporating vintage finds

A couple of months ago I competed in an IKEA living room design competition filmed and edited into 3 short episodes for Babelgum.com.  Four designers were asked to come up with a creative concept showcasing IKEA products.  My plan was to mix in some thrift store purchases with the modern and sleek IKEA furnishings to inject a little personality and history into the space.  I think the trick to combine new and old furnishings is creating a perfect balance.  Without any interesting finds or heirlooms your space may look like a lifeless furniture showroom, but too many may make your living room seem like a museum.  Mixing items from different eras creates a unified timeless aesthetic and a space that is unique to you.

My friend Laura and I did some hunting at the Meeker Avenue Flea Market in Williamsburg, and photographed some interesting furniture and accessories to include in the design presentation.
Here is a selection of curiosities we found with a similar patina that we thought would look
great on top of a modern IKEA media console.   
 
I thought this dress form would be fun on a dressing table to loop jewelry and
scarves around.   The vintage fan caught my eye too! 
This nook in my apartment, photographed by Kelly Turso, is an example of mixing old and new.  I hung antique milk glass plates as wall art and stacked pieces of pretty vintage china to create this feminine vignette on a simple parsons table.

1 comment:

  1. What paint color did you use for the walls in your nook? It's the perfect backdrop to your beautiful decor!

    ReplyDelete